Wednesday, February 10, 2010

thesis: more loose thoughts...

A thought occurred to me tonight (while reading Visible Signs by David Crow), which took me back to Johanna Drucker and our interview with her over Christmas break.

Dan asked her about a recent article she had written regarding archiving ("Blind Spots" from the Chronicle of Higher Education), and she talked about the peculiarities of physicality…the coffee stain on a file folder that you use to remember a particular item. How researchers were able to locate records from a certain time by smelling documents to detect arsenic (used to ward off plague).

So, in relation to my project:
  • How could the idea of physicality or at the very least, imperfection, help my first stab at visual study #2?
  • How could these ideas further the notion of triage?
  • How could I help differentiate information/results so that they aren’t all visually equivalent?
  • Could I allow users to spill/smudge/scuff/mark-up their search results?
  • How can I marry the efficiency and malleability of the digital interface with the tangible and visual cues of physical space?

No comments:

Post a Comment