Thursday, February 18, 2010

thesis: analysis of visual study #2 B…

So after much thinking, and some sketching, I revamped and re-presented Visual Study #2 to Martha. I think this a much better direction. It's still very loose in my mind (and in form), but I believe it will function in a much more interesting way.

Here, the system is taking over more directly, however, the user is still able to manipulate and move through information. I had envisioned this encompassing many different visualizations (like Viewzi), but after talking with Martha, that feels superfluous. How can I manage this system, so that it can intuitively function on one plane? I have so many variables I can work with. What I'm struggling with is balancing the practical with the triage.

Really, I think this study is now all about the visualization of the information more than anything else. Perhaps the difference between this and my other two studies is that this system will allow for more personalization than the others, more movement through the system's results. I think this will be all about the system suggesting organization and categories, and the way in which the display of the information helps to triage.

A thought just now....what about bar codes as a metaphor? Thinking here about the way each element means something, and goes together to create a unique tag for an item/object. Could I chunk information in this way? How could that visually work? I'm starting to do that with this system, with the spine, with the color, the hierarchy. But what else?

I really need to take a close look at Martha's comments about this system (below), and need to definitely keep going:
  • Why are these alphabetical? Couldn't it just sort by ranking, or by amount of information?
  • How does the saved function work (if there is one)?
  • How does tagging work?
  • Should think about universal categories: advocacy/opinion, explanatory, practical, commerce, news could change into latest/breaking info.

Next, I need to run this through a full scenario, and possibly try it out with one of my other personas. Or, think about different moments within the system that the three personas might exemplify through use?

No comments:

Post a Comment