Thursday, February 19, 2009

project two: going mobile...

Because my genre of interface has everything to do with movement and location, I decided to try to create my taxonomy as a mobile. To do this I first had to tightly structure my categorization and items. In order to fully wrap my head around that, I created this concept map (my very first solo one!)



My final definition of navigation interfaces is: Objects, systems or devices which are used in the art or science of plotting, ascertaining, or directing a course of movement or action; which can be used to understand relationships of geographic concepts and qualities.

The items are categorized into Maps (further categorized into maps that are to geographic scale, and those that are not—the difference between a folded city map and a subway map in which all the routes are shown to express relationships rather than precise distance) and Devices (further categorized into mechanical devices and digital or electronic devices). You can use maps alone to plan trips or routes, navigate or locate, or to create connections and note relationships. Devices, however, must be used in conjunction with maps. My third category is the anomaly: the GPS device, which is both a device used for navigation and location which contains its own maps.

I have also indicated the different ways this information can be further explored or described: by portability, ease of use, tangibility (of materials and inner workings), and how updatable it is (paper maps are often out of date upon creation and can't be updated, while GPS devices are part of a system which is infinitely updatable.)

No comments:

Post a Comment