Monday, October 19, 2009

project #2: a community initiation...

Please see my previous post to read the brief for this project.

After the feedback I received at crit, I began to develop an overlay to the DiscussCooking website, which would act as a hack the first time a user encountered it (forcing them to engage with it, either to explore further or to turn it off). My goal with this widget-interface is to introduce my community to the RDA (recommended daily allowance) nutrition information for the recipes on their site. Most of these recipes are user-contributed, and don't come with any specific information about nutrition. The tone of the website is fun and friendly overall, so I wanted to keep my initiation in line with that (and wanted to be somewhat tongue-in-cheek).

The user would come to the site, would navigate to a recipe, and the hack would take over (but only on initial discovery).

A Community Initiation... from Liese Zahabi on Vimeo.



Once the hack has finished playing, the user may engage with it as they wish, and all the recipes that are part of the initiation are clearly marked with these interactive icons.





I didn't get much feedback during critique (I happened to go last, which I think didn't help). However, Denise asked us to reflect upon this project and write an analysis, which I will submit in my next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment